Rune Library Temporarily Closed

Welcome to the back-up forum for Avalon: City of Destiny. Avalon is a player-town in Ultima Online, located in the Baja shard's Felucca facet.

Rune Library Temporarily Closed

Postby Hazard » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:33 pm

I've temporarily closed access to the rune library to unfriended folk due to a loophole in the intracacies of runebook security.

As soon as this is fixed or more readily identified (and is not an issue), I will re-open.

Thanks,
Hazard (Your Friendly Neighborhood Rune Polisher)
Hazard
Regular

Re: Rune Library Temporarily Closed

Postby Hazard » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:04 pm

It sounds as if the problem isn't really bad from a Friday announcement, although I do have to do some experimenting with runebooks locked down in un-secure containers first.

*paranoid* :shock:
Hazard
Regular

Postby Arion » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:58 pm

does that mean friends can still use the books inside?
Arion
Regular

Postby Hazard » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:26 am

It shouldn't be an issue for you to get inside the place, although I'm not sure if the securities were reset to 'owner only'. I'll make it a priority to check tonight or Sunday.

Arion wrote:does that mean friends can still use the books inside?
Hazard
Regular

Reopened.

Postby Hazard » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:42 am

I've reopened the library to the public after testing out security in locked down containers. All books should now be set to 'All'
Hazard
Regular

Postby Arion » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:20 am

that was fairly quick...
so the security scare is over...or is it just cause they are in locked down containers?

books on steps still secure?
Arion
Regular

Problem

Postby Hazard » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:48 pm

Well it began with this:

With the introduction of Publish 30 we?ve discovered a small issue concerning locked down rune books and their associated access levels. As such, we strongly suggest that rune book owners restrict access to these items until the issue can be fully addressed.
We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your continued patience as we finalize the publish world wide.

Then they cleared it up with this. It turns out the issue after Pub 30 was minor and had to deal with changing names

This is as designed. You can control access to your runebooks like any other security-enabled item (teleporters, doors, etc).

With Pub30, we fixed an exploit that let people steal runes out of public runebooks. We didn't announce that before the publish, because otherwise everyone then goes and tries the exploit. As a general policy, we try not to announce exploits to the world before we fix them for that very reason.

The ERT fix after Pub30 was to fix the minor issue that if a runebook was set to Everyone, then anyone could rename your runebook.

You can set set your runebooks to everyone if you want the public to have access to them.

If I forgot to set the access for books on the steps, let me know
Hazard
Regular

Postby Arion » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:16 am

they all seem to work fine ;-)
Arion
Regular

Return to Avalon Open Forum