Silent Knight at last!

This is the official forum for the Local Heroes online comic.

Silent Knight at last!

Postby Nightlynx » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:23 pm

:D

Ok of all the characters mentioned before this one was the one that peeked my interest the most and now he is here YEAH

Happy Happy Joy Joy

8) cheers 8)

Nightlynx
Nightlynx
Regular

Re: Silent Knight at last!

Postby Nobody » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:18 pm

Haha! Your enthusiasm kill me. ;]
Nobody
Site Admin

Postby Nightlynx » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:42 pm

Nobody wrote:Haha! Your enthusiasm kill me. ;]

I know I am just a comic geek at heart! But I really love this comic - the idea behind it simply rocks. The characters are both fresh and interesting. There is a cool level of seriousness and humor. Besides being just a good read you have both great story and I love your art style.

On another note - I don't know if you are fimilar with Green Ronin and their table top rpg Mutants and Masterminds (think D&D for superheroes) but your "Local Heroes" has given me alot of cool ideas for a game setting.

cheers
and keep up the great work!

Nightlynx
Nightlynx
Regular

Postby Nobody » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:14 pm

Nightlynx wrote:But I really love this comic - the idea behind it simply rocks. The characters are both fresh and interesting. There is a cool level of seriousness and humor. Besides being just a good read you have both great story and I love your art style.

Thanks for the compliments!

Nightlynx wrote:On another note - I don't know if you are fimilar with Green Ronin and their table top rpg Mutants and Masterminds (think D&D for superheroes)...

Yes, I've heard of it. But I've never played it. I've flipped through some of the books. I like their art style and book layouts a lot.

Nightlynx wrote:...but your "Local Heroes" has given me alot of cool ideas for a game setting.

I didn't think I've revealed much about the Local Heroes universe, have I? Sure, I have years of super-characters and plot ideas built up over the years, but there've only been 10 Local Heroes strips. Now you've got me curious as to what people are getting out of the strip, and what sort of ideas it has inspired for you!
Nobody
Site Admin

Postby Nightlynx » Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:49 am

Nobody wrote:{snip}
I didn't think I've revealed much about the Local Heroes universe, have I? Sure, I have years of super-characters and plot ideas built up over the years, but there've only been 10 Local Heroes strips. Now you've got me curious as to what people are getting out of the strip, and what sort of ideas it has inspired for you!

Well the very concept of UNIONS makes for a great spring board. What we do know about it form the strips is:

A) It's a world spanning group with chapters all over. So a "New" chapter could be opened anywhere. There's Legion who came from local #1 and the gang at local #37.

B) They are geared for recuitment and training of "young heroes" and other "sidekick" types - Squire joining and being teamed up with the Silent Knight for example.

C) The information on the AI Hoffa and Min Dae-soo gives us insite into possiable NPC roles and relationships. Who's to say that Haffa isn't the AI glue that holds all the chapters together and is in contact with each other?

D) American Spirit and Mystery Man both their characters and their bios show that established heroes can be "part of the team". Thus establishing more NPC roles or ways to get Players involved in this setting.

and I could go on - The highest compliment I can offer your strip is that it has sparked my imagination. It has been a spring board of "What ifs" and "Wouldn't it be cools".... So thank you for that!

cheers
Nightlynx

PS
Mutants and Masterminds is hands down the Best Superhero RPG on the market today! It's easy to play without lacking in quality, you do not need a math degree to create characters or hold combat, and it is well adapted for play in any of the different comic book genres.
Nightlynx
Regular

Postby Nobody » Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:58 pm

Wow, I didn't think I revealed so much already!

"Who's to say that Haffa isn't the AI glue that holds all the chapters together and is in contact with each other?" That is very much Hoffa's purpose. Legion was my first Champions RPG character, and UNIONS was the supergroup that "he" made up. My friends and I made a variety of other Champions characters in the years that followed, but two reoccuring themes throughout the years were the presence and growth of UNIONS and Hoffa being an unofficial team member of every UNIONS chapter.

Here's some more UNIONS-based teasers for you. In my mind, several Local Chapters have themes that loosely connect with their chapter numbers (at least in my mind). I don't mind posting them here,
since I don't know if/when this stuff will come up in the strip.
  • Local 1: The Founding Chapter (UNIONS founders; Legion is foreman)
  • Local 13: Supernatural Sciences
  • Local 37: The "Local Heroes" team
  • Local 51: Extraterrestrial Affairs
  • Local 101: Training
  • Local 404: Search & Rescue
  • Local 411: Records and Communications
  • Local 800: Public Relations

Local 37 was created for the Local Heroes strip, with each of the four main heroes representing archetypes from the four main eras of modern superheroes/comic books (Golden, Silver, Bronze/Dark, Modern). For a while I flirted with switching the team to be Local 101 and focus instead on young, newbie heroes, but in the end I stuck with the version being used now.
Nightlynx wrote:PS
Mutants and Masterminds is hands down the Best Superhero RPG on the market today! It's easy to play without lacking in quality, you do not need a math degree to create characters or hold combat, and it is well adapted for play in any of the different comic book genres.

I've played Villains & Vigilantes in college and liked that a lot, especially due to the rule where you play yourself as a superhero. I played the original Marvel Superheroes a bit, but it was a bit too simple. Champions became my favorite superhero RPG when I started playing (I haven't played the new edition--I played the previous two versions), with the only flaw being combat taking a bit long to resolve.
Nobody
Site Admin

Postby Nightlynx » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:52 pm

Nobody wrote:Wow, I didn't think I revealed so much already!

"Who's to say that Haffa isn't the AI glue that holds all the chapters together and is in contact with each other?" That is very much Hoffa's purpose. Legion was my first Champions RPG character, and UNIONS was the supergroup that "he" made up. My friends and I made a variety of other Champions characters in the years that followed, but two reoccuring themes throughout the years were the presence and growth of UNIONS and Hoffa being an unofficial team member of every UNIONS chapter.

Here's some more UNIONS-based teasers for you. In my mind, several Local Chapters have themes that loosely connect with their chapter numbers (at least in my mind). I don't mind posting them here,
since I don't know if/when this stuff will come up in the strip.
  • Local 1: The Founding Chapter (UNIONS founders; Legion is foreman)
  • Local 13: Supernatural Sciences
  • Local 37: The "Local Heroes" team
  • Local 51: Extraterrestrial Affairs
  • Local 101: Training
  • Local 404: Search & Rescue
  • Local 411: Records and Communications
  • Local 800: Public Relations
Local 37 was created for the Local Heroes strip, with each of the four main heroes representing archetypes from the four main eras of modern superheroes/comic books (Golden, Silver, Bronze/Dark, Modern). For a while I flirted with switching the team to be Local 101 and focus instead on young, newbie heroes, but in the end I stuck with the version being used now.

{snip}

I've played Villains & Vigilantes in college and liked that a lot, especially due to the rule where you play yourself as a superhero. I played the original Marvel Superheroes a bit, but it was a bit too simple. Champions became my favorite superhero RPG when I started playing (I haven't played the new edition--I played the previous two versions), with the only flaw being combat taking a bit long to resolve.

Sweet! Its like Christmas came early! I love the teasers!

Local 404: Search and Rescue - I can so get into that way back in the day the very first V&V character I played was named LIFELINE (think Mr Fantastic from the FF but with Healing ablities too boot).

As for the Hoffa AI connection it just seemed natural that "HE" would play that role - Its how I would have built "Him" for any game I ran.

I have also done the Marvel RPG (From the first one to the SAGA with the cards)I did play Champions as well as Silver Age Sentinels but I got to tell you the combat system of M&M is simple without being lame.

I also like that you have chosen to theme the four members of Local Heroes after the comic ages - I have been givening alot of thought to that as well and am working on a project that takes a single character through a similar process sort of a Generations type thing.

Currently - In the game senario I have planned out UNIONS is opening a new chapter in Kenson City - Nightlynx, the Dark Dame of Justice, is building a team of reformed super villians. She's a 3rd generation "batman type" super hero. Its a second chance for alot of these Silver-Age moffit villians. In the spirit of the new Thunderbolts, they are sheading there former aliases for new and improved "hero" ids.

Its been alot of fun so far and I can't wait to get the game up and running! In the meantime I have your great strip to inspire and entertain.

cheers
Nightlynx
Nightlynx
Regular

Postby Bastion » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:43 am

Nobody wrote:Champions became my favorite superhero RPG when I started playing (I haven't played the new edition--I played the previous two versions), with the only flaw being combat taking a bit long to resolve.

The last time we played Champions we were using the latest rules, 5th Edition.
Bastion
Regular

Postby Nightlynx » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:38 pm

And now SK is kicking robo butt and taking robo names! SWEET 8)

Week by week thiws stripe just keeps getting better!

cheers
Nightlynx
Nightlynx
Regular

Return to Local Heroes